Injection Timing

Engine's, injection, valve's, timing, crank's etc..

Moderators: Dan J, Stuart, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil

Injection Timing

Postby alexanderfoti » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:35 pm

Whilst waiting for new pulley, I Thought I would advanced my injection timing slightly, in the aim for more power.

This engine has always sounded pretty quiet than it should, so I thought its possibly its a bit more retarded than it should be.

As I don't have the original housing to indicate TDC, I would have to remove glow plugs etc, to find out, and mark which is a bit difficult, so I did not know the original injection timing before I started.

I was going to remove one shim for 1.5deg advance.

I removed the pump to find no shims at all. I rather luckily had another identical pump, so swapped that one across with one shim and have found that its definitely more advanced than the old one.

Is the original pump worn out?

Also, can I damage the engine by going too advanced? I don't think there is enough adjustment to over advance, but you never know.
alexanderfoti
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Re: Injection Timing

Postby gilburton » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:02 pm

Not sure about the engine power but the problem with your CVT might be related to the higher power engine and your acceleration from a standstill.
Advancing the engine might cause you more problems than it solves.
Personally I would tackle the cvt first and run it to see if the problem is sorted.
I realise I am combining your post on the CVT but it has to be remembered it was designed for the Z486 engine.
Also these type of CVT's don't have a clutch like scooters. The belt is the clutch so there is quite a bit of "snatch" if engaging the throttle hard.
My advice would be to roll the throttle until you have engagement and rolling along and then open it again smoothly.
Is the belt worn? It has to be level with the top edges of the rear pulley and no more than a couple of mm from the top when worn. There is a width measurement that is stated for belt replacement but can't find it at the moment.
I only ask as effectively it raises the gearing starting off, if worn, so putting more stress on the key.
gilburton

Postby alexanderfoti » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:57 pm

I forgot to update the other thread.

The CVT Died after I was playing with the timing.

The new one arrived today, and I am pretty sure whats happened. Will update the other thread.
alexanderfoti

Postby pietenpol2002 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:04 am

-
Some interesting nuggets in this link specific to both of your questions regarding timing and turbocharging. While the subject line is in regard to the D950, much of the discussion is related to the 722. I would add that in a discussion with a chap who's rebuilt a good number of D902s, he noted that checking timing was needed on some regular basis. And that he's found shims needed to be removed over time to compensate for normal wear. FWIW.

http://www.ssbtractor.com/wwwboard/view ... &msg=18103
Ron
Goshen, IN USA
pietenpol2002

Postby alexanderfoti » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:27 pm

gilburton wrote:My advice would be to roll the throttle until you have engagement and rolling along and then open it again smoothly.

Thanks, this is what I end up doing, I'm sure that I'm hitting the torque limit of the cvt, as you say.
alexanderfoti

Postby alexanderfoti » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:30 pm

pietenpol2002 wrote:-
Some interesting nuggets in this link specific to both of your questions regarding timing and turbocharging. While the subject line is in regard to the D950, much of the discussion is related to the 722. I would add that in a discussion with a chap who's rebuilt a good number of D902s, he noted that checking timing was needed on some regular basis. And that he's found shims needed to be removed over time to compensate for normal wear. FWIW.

http://www.ssbtractor.com/wwwboard/view ... &msg=18103

Thanks, that is interesting. I Wonder where the wear is coming from, must be on the pump side of things, otherwise swapping them wouldn't have made a difference on mine... Interesting.
alexanderfoti

Return to ENGINE RELATED TOPICS