Adding centrifucal clutch and/or torque converter

Clutches, Chain & Belt Drives

Moderators: Dan J, Stuart, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil

TimppaX
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Adding centrifucal clutch and/or torque converter

Post by TimppaX » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:33 pm

Just been wondering how easy/impossible it´d be to place centrifucal clucth in the space of conventional clutch. And with minimal cahnges to original "design".

ie: Diesel Twin -> centrifucal-> Dnepr gearbox

Of even wilder thoughts: clutch/gearbox tossed away and having torque converter instead.

I have no idea could it be done in such way it´d work better than original construction/last for years of normal use...
that should do it

lex
Been here a while now..

centrifugal clutch

Post by lex » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:49 am

Hi there,
A year or so ago there was a guy on this forum called 'locomotive breath' he built just such a bike using an industrial centrifugal clutch in place of the usual gearbox / CVT arangement. You could search the technical posts, or PM him to find out more.

Lex

TimppaX

Post by TimppaX » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:48 am

Thanks.

I Should have run searches, but idea came to me so suddenly
(sounds like Beatles song?)

The idea of losing such a "useless" items as clutch & gearbox is so temptating...
that should do it

gilburton

Post by gilburton » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:36 pm

some years ago citroen had a "trafficlutch" on the 2cv basically you used the gearbox in the normal way but in traffic etc.you selected a suitable gear and the centrifugal bit did the rest but you still had to change gear manually.I believe the volvo 66/340 series(when they took over daf) had a similar arrangement and these may be better suited to fitting between engine/gearbox.

sbrumby

Post by sbrumby » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:00 pm

You never said what bike you were going to use but unless I am wrong and I sometimes am,a Dnepr is like an old BMW with what I would call a car clutch, and shaft drive. So with that in mind to fit a centrifugal clutch in place of a conventional one not easy but not impossible. To fit a cvt with its centrifugal clutch probably is easier but you will have to get back to shaft drive.
Sam

TimppaX

Re: Adding centrifucal clutch and/or torque converter

Post by TimppaX » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:19 pm

TimppaX wrote:Dnepr gearbox
My project is sidecar K750M with Dnerpr gearbox already installed and drive shaft driven.

As soon as I can get myself to visit some ATV shops I´ll ask about complete set with clutch and cvt. Setting clutch & Cvt work reliably with lower rpm might be slight problem.
that should do it

TimppaX

Post by TimppaX » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:21 pm

After vigorious serching I ran across centrifucal clutch made to HD. Anyone know about these?

Local HD dealer keeps me already insane after I bought some second hand turninglights from them and installed them to my "BlackRussian" ...

Other route is to use industrial grade components. Should last long enough.

Suco is very interesting option + has dealer around here.
Products: http://downloads.suco.de/kataloge/EN020204.pdf
that should do it