Let the Honderini begin....

On-going, finished, abandoned builds & questions galore..

Moderators: Dan J, Stuart, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil

albertaphil
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Re: Let the Honderini begin....

Post by albertaphil » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:29 pm

The only thing that makes me hesitate to shave the flywheel and remove the metal shrouds is that my engine is oriented opposite to yours which puts the flywheel on the right which puts the pumps and Injectors on the front and subject to rock damage without the shrouds. I Will see how many rock chips I get in my shroud... the fan has to waste some power for sure.

As for the pump...the theory works but the oil doesnt shoot far enough to reach the gears. I can figure something out...removing an elbow in my delivery pipe and removing a bit of a kink In the suction hose. Im glad I had to take apart the chain case to fix a leak or wouldn't have I realized my lack of lubrication.

albertaphil

Post by albertaphil » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:09 pm

Here is a picture showing the oil pump. You can see it down at the bottom between the engine mounts. When I tested it with a straight pipe it really seemed like it would shoot the oil far enough to reach the gears.
Attachments
20140327_141447.jpg
20140327_141433.jpg

coachgeo

Post by coachgeo » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:16 pm

Consider making a spray bar inside the tranny. Something like fuel line with the end capped and small holes drilled in it strategically over gears etc. Affix the bar to the inside by brazing it to the wall you made? Another option is to maybe make a tree off tubes along the outside of that back wall you made and then elbow them into the tranny at different locations to hit a broader area of inside of the tranny. The outer tree may act as an oil cooler too?

albertaphil

Post by albertaphil » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:28 am

My thinking is that oil dropping onto gears spinning at 3000+ rpm will produce a veritable fog of oil inside the trans case. In not actually concerned about the gears since they weren't really lubed by anything more than mist originally. It was the bearings that were pressure lubed by the engine oil pump

albertaphil

Post by albertaphil » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:39 am

Im hoping the fog of oil Will make it to the bearings and clutch shaft bushing.

As for the spray bar Idea...I thought of that too but I have learned that the 9psi produced by the little fuel pump is not adequate to spray anything. I attempted to get the oil to shoot farther by necking down my elbow fitting. All it did was reduce oil flow.

So I replaced the elbow fitting with a straight nipple and It now works like I expected it to.

coachgeo

Post by coachgeo » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:14 am

is there a channel thru the shaft where pressurized oil use to feed the bearings? In the 404 Unimog the tranny's uppermost main shaft bushings were feed only by splash feeding a small pocket which drained toward the shaft end. The rotation of the shaft pulled along lube thru the channel and it exited out a hole in the shaft that fed the copper bush there.

With this in mind maybe you can build in some pockets for you oil mist to collect into and drip directly down onto the bearings / bush area your concerned with if you can not feed a channel in a spinning shaft that was designed previously to feed the bearings. Maybe drip right next to them splashing off the shaft onto the sides of the bearing where the balls/needles or bushes feed hole. are exposed some?

albertaphil

Post by albertaphil » Tue May 06, 2014 4:16 am

So I thought I should post a few pics of some of the puzzles I solved with my build. I have now put 400km on the bike with no major issues and I'm starting to feel a little more comfortable and adventurous. Vibration levels at the handlebars are minimal, but the footpegs shake enough to be a little uncomfortable. I think most of this vibration is from a not-perfectly balanced clutch/sprocket assembly. I have a notion to eBay another clutch basket and take another shot at getting the sprockets welded on perfectly. Then perhaps a dynamic balance. But I think I will prove the rest of the bike first before I spend any more money.

I will prove the machine this summer, and then next winter I have a notion to paint everything flat black. I think it would fit the character of the bike quite well.
Attachments
20140328_132104.jpg
The original clutch-pusher thingy. Actually it isn't the original, but it is very much like it.
IMG_6214.JPG
My throttle cable assembly. Pardon all the mud. It was much easier to have the cable sheath push the throttle lever. We will see how this works out long term.
IMG_6213.JPG
Detail of my cut and rewelded Honda exhaust pipe. I'm confused...does it count as a ratbike if the crappy parts seem unintentional?:-)
IMG_6212.JPG
The tailpipe I build from the original Honda double wall chrome pipe, cut at angles and rewelded to get the right "curve." Leaky and restrictive for sure. To be replaced eventually.
IMG_6211.JPG
My horrible exhaust header made from an old chunk of VW pipe.
IMG_6210.JPG
My air intake hose sucks from the original Honda airbox. I build an attachment plate for the hose out of aluminum house eve fascia.
IMG_6209.JPG
The air intake pipe. That right, it IS sump pump hose.

albertaphil

Post by albertaphil » Tue May 06, 2014 4:28 am

More pics.
Attachments
20140329_180453.jpg
The completed primary drive. I used a piece of ready rod to adjust tension on the primary chain. It hasn't stretched much. I hope the tensioner lasts. It was originally what tensioned the big laminated chain that went from the crankshaft to the transmission on a 1981 Honda CB1100. In that application it was tensioned by engine oil pressure.
20140328_132146.jpg
Clutch-pusher thingy in place in the primary cover.
20140328_132125.jpg
My revised clutch-pusher thingy. I had to make this much longer than the original, and I made it to stick into the inner race of the bearing in the middle of the clutch disengagement plate so that everything would stay centered. Hopefully the little bearing doesn't wear out too fast. The curved cup is from a mcpherson strut. I just used it because it fit nicely around the rod I extended the clutch-pusher with, but its outer diameter was the same as the inner race of the little bearing.