67 Triumph Bobber

On-going, finished, abandoned builds & questions galore..

Moderators: Dan J, Stuart, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil

Post Reply
07gtimyfast
I'm pretty new here..
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:45 pm
Location: Georgia

67 Triumph Bobber

Post by 07gtimyfast » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:44 am

Hey folks, New to the forum here.

First I would like to say I attempted to register here a month ago but that "what bike is commonly used for conversion" question got me hung up. Until today when it hit me.. After seeing a few Royal Enfields I tried that one and here I am.

I started this project a month ago and it started a a 67 triumph bobber rolling chassis. I added motor mounts, jack shaft mounts and spacers, made a seat pan and hinge bracket, made the tank, made the tail/tag bracket, and wired her up.
photobucket-23319-1350500903017.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
8.jpg
7.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg

07gtimyfast
I'm pretty new here..
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:45 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: 67 Triumph Bobber

Post by 07gtimyfast » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:48 am

11.jpg
12.jpg


Video#1 motor running/testing in bike: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZenGV9Bjxk

Video#2 one of the first shake down runs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEYtIC-EIh0

Compilation/descriptive video to come this weekend.

I have ridden to work 3 days this week and it runs great!

User avatar
Stuart
Site Admin
Posts: 2159
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:08 pm
Location: Horsham West Sussex, England
Contact:

Re: 67 Triumph Bobber

Post by Stuart » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:31 am

Hi & welcome to the forum :-)
Glad you made it on here o.k.
Stuart. Honda NC700S, Ducati Monster M900, Toyota Corolla 1.4 Turbo Diesel. Favouring MPG over MPH.

07gtimyfast
I'm pretty new here..
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:45 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: 67 Triumph Bobber

Post by 07gtimyfast » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:18 am

As promised a ride video with full description:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4_2YhXPiUM

User avatar
Stuart
Site Admin
Posts: 2159
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:08 pm
Location: Horsham West Sussex, England
Contact:

Re: 67 Triumph Bobber

Post by Stuart » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:30 am

Ok I will delete the password chat from this thread & make it easier to guess. It can't be too easy though or it will compromise us too much.
Stuart. Honda NC700S, Ducati Monster M900, Toyota Corolla 1.4 Turbo Diesel. Favouring MPG over MPH.

User avatar
Stuart
Site Admin
Posts: 2159
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:08 pm
Location: Horsham West Sussex, England
Contact:

Re: 67 Triumph Bobber

Post by Stuart » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:34 am

Thanks for posting the video Justin. Very much enjoyed that as you covered everything & showed how it rides too :-)
Don't forget that if you we're to write it up & provide pictures I could add it to the website as an article in its own right. That can be a more permanent display of you work. That goes for anyone else out there too :-)
Thanks again.
Stuart. Honda NC700S, Ducati Monster M900, Toyota Corolla 1.4 Turbo Diesel. Favouring MPG over MPH.

User avatar
DieselFly
I luv the smell of Diesel...
Posts: 214
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:32 pm
Location: Kingston Ontario Canada

Re: 67 Triumph Bobber

Post by DieselFly » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:53 pm

Nice job Justin! The comet 40 clutch set really seems to be almost a perfect match with the 10hp engine. next you need a turbo :twisted:

Sean
Finished and riding 1975
CB500t Turbo Punsun powered
hardtail.

07gtimyfast
I'm pretty new here..
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:45 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: 67 Triumph Bobber

Post by 07gtimyfast » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:48 pm

DieselFly wrote:Nice job Justin! The comet 40 clutch set really seems to be almost a perfect match with the 10hp engine. next you need a turbo :twisted:

Sean
Thanks! yes the comet 40 series seems to be the perfect match for this engine. I'm actually watching radicalnegative's build pretty closely to see how his turbo build turns out. Right now the bike is a perfect commuter for me as it keeps up in the traffic I see daily. I have a 10 mile round trip commute so I'm looking at about a gallon of fuel every 2 weeks. I posted on the video but I did a mileage test and got 103 mpg in traffic with several stop and go red lights here in my area. Open road would be closer to 120+ I am thinking.

07gtimyfast
I'm pretty new here..
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:45 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: 67 Triumph Bobber

Post by 07gtimyfast » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:51 pm

Stuart wrote:Thanks for posting the video Justin. Very much enjoyed that as you covered everything & showed how it rides too :-)
Don't forget that if you we're to write it up & provide pictures I could add it to the website as an article in its own right. That can be a more permanent display of you work. That goes for anyone else out there too :-)
Thanks again.
What exactly would you be looking for as a write-up? Like a DIY complete step by step or just individual pictures with a description of what modifications I did on each picture?

I would like to help out of I can.

User avatar
coachgeo
I luv the smell of Diesel...
Posts: 1997
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:00 am
Location: USA Ohio, Above Cincinnati, Close to Dayton

Re: 67 Triumph Bobber

Post by coachgeo » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:55 pm

07gtimyfast wrote:
Stuart wrote:.... Don't forget that if you we're to write it up & provide pictures I could add it to the website as an article in its own right. That can be a more permanent display of you work. That goes for anyone else out there too :-)
Thanks again.
What exactly would you be looking for as a write-up? Like a DIY complete step by step or just individual pictures with a description of what modifications I did on each picture?

I would like to help out of I can.
go to http://dieselbike.net/ The last section on that page is "Private Diesel Motorcycles" Thats where your general write up would end up being put. Hit some links to get ideas on write up. To be honest most write ups in there are not so good cause they are second hand so if you do better.... we'ld all greately appreciate it.

In addition For "this forum" As detailed as your willing can only be forever helpfull. Each person will gleem something different from it and spark stimulating discussions that will live on for a long long time.

BTW... with your engine CVT combination what cruising speeds are you reaching? What weight and springs are you using in your CVT. Which Primary and Secondary clutch are you using? How'ld you decide on what weight and springs to use?

User avatar
Stuart
Site Admin
Posts: 2159
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:08 pm
Location: Horsham West Sussex, England
Contact:

Re: 67 Triumph Bobber

Post by Stuart » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:35 pm

I was thinking something along the lines of the top articles on this page: http://www.dieselbike.net/Articles/tech_articles.htm

We do sometimes take text & pictures from the forum & put them up to help others build bikes. It sometimes comes across better when individual posts are brought together. The more detail the better I think. Anything you could send me (via email on context page) would be appreciated :-)
Stuart. Honda NC700S, Ducati Monster M900, Toyota Corolla 1.4 Turbo Diesel. Favouring MPG over MPH.

07gtimyfast
I'm pretty new here..
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:45 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: 67 Triumph Bobber

Post by 07gtimyfast » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:35 am

Stuart wrote:I was thinking something along the lines of the top articles on this page: http://www.dieselbike.net/Articles/tech_articles.htm

We do sometimes take text & pictures from the forum & put them up to help others build bikes. It sometimes comes across better when individual posts are brought together. The more detail the better I think. Anything you could send me (via email on context page) would be appreciated :-)
PM sent

07gtimyfast
I'm pretty new here..
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:45 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: 67 Triumph Bobber

Post by 07gtimyfast » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:41 am

coachgeo wrote:
07gtimyfast wrote:
Stuart wrote:.... Don't forget that if you we're to write it up & provide pictures I could add it to the website as an article in its own right. That can be a more permanent display of you work. That goes for anyone else out there too :-)
Thanks again.
What exactly would you be looking for as a write-up? Like a DIY complete step by step or just individual pictures with a description of what modifications I did on each picture?

I would like to help out of I can.
go to http://dieselbike.net/ The last section on that page is "Private Diesel Motorcycles" Thats where your general write up would end up being put. Hit some links to get ideas on write up. To be honest most write ups in there are not so good cause they are second hand so if you do better.... we'ld all greately appreciate it.

In addition For "this forum" As detailed as your willing can only be forever helpfull. Each person will gleem something different from it and spark stimulating discussions that will live on for a long long time.

BTW... with your engine CVT combination what cruising speeds are you reaching? What weight and springs are you using in your CVT. Which Primary and Secondary clutch are you using? How'ld you decide on what weight and springs to use?
top speed of around 60 down hill, flat land cruise speed between 50-55, up hill around 45, steep hills with no momentum going up I can slow down to around 40.

To be honest I used the springs and weights that came in the comet driver and driven. It worked well so I did not mess with it. I could take a look if you like. I have a few ideas for the steep hill slow down but like I said it really does the job well in my area.

User avatar
coachgeo
I luv the smell of Diesel...
Posts: 1997
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:00 am
Location: USA Ohio, Above Cincinnati, Close to Dayton

Re: 67 Triumph Bobber

Post by coachgeo » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:11 am

If I recall right those performance stats are typical for a 10hp bike no matter if it is with a Gearbox or CVT.

Did you order the comet stating in advance the parameters (power curve?) or anything about the engine it was to be be used with? Just wonder if whom you ordered it from preset up the primary and secondary based on the info you gave them.

For records sake though it would be good to know what color spring, weights etc. are used in the CVT setup.

User avatar
DieselFly
I luv the smell of Diesel...
Posts: 214
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:32 pm
Location: Kingston Ontario Canada

Re: 67 Triumph Bobber

Post by DieselFly » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:45 pm

Maybe I can shed some light on the clutch setup. Out of tyhe box all Comet 40's come with what they call the standard 4 cycle setup. The engagement is at 1600rpm and the driven has a red spring. This is setup for things like golf carts etc. And as it happens it is almost bang on for a 10hp diesel bike. They rate these clutches to 15hp. Here is the manual for the clutch
coachgeo wrote:If I recall right those performance stats are typical for a 10hp bike no matter if it is with a Gearbox or CVT.
http://www.gopowersports.com/Comet/40series.pdf

Sean
Did you order the comet stating in advance the parameters (power curve?) or anything about the engine it was to be be used with? Just wonder if whom you ordered it from preset up the primary and secondary based on the info you gave them.

For records sake though it would be good to know what color spring, weights etc. are used in the CVT setup.
Finished and riding 1975
CB500t Turbo Punsun powered
hardtail.

07gtimyfast
I'm pretty new here..
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:45 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: 67 Triumph Bobber

Post by 07gtimyfast » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:02 pm

coachgeo wrote:If I recall right those performance stats are typical for a 10hp bike no matter if it is with a Gearbox or CVT.

Did you order the comet stating in advance the parameters (power curve?) or anything about the engine it was to be be used with? Just wonder if whom you ordered it from preset up the primary and secondary based on the info you gave them.

For records sake though it would be good to know what color spring, weights etc. are used in the CVT setup.
I purchased the driver and driven separate, the driver came from Canada and the driven from somewhere in the Northeast US, both purchased on ebay. The driven has a red spring and the driver came with whatever a new one comes with. Neither were set-up by anyone that I know of.

Image
Image

Edit:
Not sure who all runs a comet belt but if anyone runs the 12 5/8" comet belt (203791) I found them on-sale for $10 each which is like 1/3 what they normally cost. Ordered 5 tonight so I will have spares for a while. website is bmikarts.com

07gtimyfast
I'm pretty new here..
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:45 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: 67 Triumph Bobber

Post by 07gtimyfast » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:50 am

Ok so if running a belt drive either use some type of shroud or don't ride in the rain. That was a interesting ride home from work after getting caught in the rain. Any moisture on the belt and you are going nowhere fast. Just fyi.

User avatar
DieselFly
I luv the smell of Diesel...
Posts: 214
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:32 pm
Location: Kingston Ontario Canada

Re: 67 Triumph Bobber

Post by DieselFly » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:35 pm

Ya found that out the first time I washed mine. I do have a cover that seems okay in the rain. Just don't close it off tight the belt does need cooling airflow. Mine is open on the bottom and the inside.
07gtimyfast wrote:Ok so if running a belt drive either use some type of shroud or don't ride in the rain. That was a interesting ride home from work after getting caught in the rain. Any moisture on the belt and you are going nowhere fast. Just fyi.
Finished and riding 1975
CB500t Turbo Punsun powered
hardtail.

User avatar
coachgeo
I luv the smell of Diesel...
Posts: 1997
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:00 am
Location: USA Ohio, Above Cincinnati, Close to Dayton

Re: 67 Triumph Bobber

Post by coachgeo » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:59 pm

The ATV/UTV/RTV market is more and more going to closeing them off but have a snorkle fed air intake. These now even have their own air filter. Not sure what is air exhaust. built in air leaks or an exhaust snorkle too. Some tin folded into a cool bat wing or something cover-n-snorkle Im sure can be come up with :mrgreen:
DieselFly wrote:Ya found that out the first time I washed mine. I do have a cover that seems okay in the rain. Just don't close it off tight the belt does need cooling airflow. Mine is open on the bottom and the inside.
07gtimyfast wrote:Ok so if running a belt drive either use some type of shroud or don't ride in the rain. That was a interesting ride home from work after getting caught in the rain. Any moisture on the belt and you are going nowhere fast. Just fyi.

07gtimyfast
I'm pretty new here..
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:45 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: 67 Triumph Bobber

Post by 07gtimyfast » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:02 pm

coachgeo wrote:The ATV/UTV/RTV market is more and more going to closeing them off but have a snorkle fed air intake. These now even have their own air filter. Not sure what is air exhaust. built in air leaks or an exhaust snorkle too. Some tin folded into a cool bat wing or something cover-n-snorkle Im sure can be come up with :mrgreen:
DieselFly wrote:Ya found that out the first time I washed mine. I do have a cover that seems okay in the rain. Just don't close it off tight the belt does need cooling airflow. Mine is open on the bottom and the inside.
07gtimyfast wrote:Ok so if running a belt drive either use some type of shroud or don't ride in the rain. That was a interesting ride home from work after getting caught in the rain. Any moisture on the belt and you are going nowhere fast. Just fyi.
Yes I think I will just not ride in the rain, like the look of the open belt better but might make something to leave at work just encase I get caught it the rain again.

Also threw this video together and the question is... will it do a burnout? Watch and see :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_erjJNWpis

07gtimyfast
I'm pretty new here..
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:45 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: 67 Triumph Bobber

Post by 07gtimyfast » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:22 am

Just wanted to give an update:
I have been riding almost every day since new years (minus rain days) with zero problems. The thing kicks off great and just a blast to commute with. I estimate around 1500 miles on it so I will be changing the oil soon and will report back.

User avatar
Stuart
Site Admin
Posts: 2159
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:08 pm
Location: Horsham West Sussex, England
Contact:

Re: 67 Triumph Bobber

Post by Stuart » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:18 pm

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear that it's still going strong :-)
Stuart. Honda NC700S, Ducati Monster M900, Toyota Corolla 1.4 Turbo Diesel. Favouring MPG over MPH.

Post Reply