Hatz 2G40 Dnepr help wanted.

On-going, finished, abandoned builds & questions galore..

Moderators: Dan J, Stuart, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil

irishbiker
I'm pretty new here..

Hatz 2G40 Dnepr help wanted.

Post by irishbiker » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:19 am

Hi

I'm wanting to build a bike based on the Dnepr with the Hatz 2G40 engine using the Dnepr reversing gearbox. Does anyone here have one I can bounce technical questions off?

1. What type of clutch did you use? Did you have to modify it to fit the Hatz drive shaft?

2. What adaptor plate did you use? Do you have plans you can share?

I've emailed Loew asking if he would sell or supply plans to make a adaptor plate but I'm not getting any replies.

Anyone help?

Tetronator
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Re: Hatz 2G40 Dnepr help wanted.

Post by Tetronator » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:17 am

So I'm thinking you want something like this;

Tetronator wrote:I went to the rally and took some pictures!

I got there first so I got to see all the arrivals, the first to arrive was this gentleman and his daugther from Germany, (I forgot to ask his/her name sadly enough), on his Hatz 2G40 powered Dnepr MT10-36 from 1979 with an BMW r1050 Clutch. :shock: And also a really cool fuel tank. (He wore a big knock 2012 T-shirt!) He also gave permission to upload these photo's on to the site. (If an admin would be so nice as to do this).

I know it looks a lot like the LOËW build but the man build this himself, he told me he didn't like the fact that LOËW did not put the engine on rubber dampeners. :)
http://www.suckindiesel.com/thingy/view ... f=4&t=2787

Trow me some questions, I might be able to answer them.
"...the fearless Dutchman..." -Stuart
"...the mad Dutchman..." -Diesel Dave

Honda VT600 C Shadow
H̶o̶n̶d̶a̶ ̶C̶B̶R̶6̶0̶0̶F̶2̶
Mercedes-Benz W123 300D Sedan

irishbiker
I'm pretty new here..

Post by irishbiker » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:03 pm

Hi

Thanks for the update, well my project has taken a slight fork, I could not get a Hatz engine at the right price, only one I could find was in the Netherlands and it was way too expensive, so I've just bought Ruggerini engine. Its a RD 210, should do what I want it to do. Off to pick it up tomorrow.

What clutch should I use. So far I'm thinking about using the Dnepr setup including the flywheel. its the easiest open with the Dnepr gearbox and final drive.

Any thoughts please.

Thanks

Paul

Tetronator

Post by Tetronator » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:59 pm

No problem, guess you ran into the same problem I have... I live in the Netherlands... :(

The Ruggerini looks like a good choice although I think you will get into problems with the length of the thing.
Dutch laws prevent me from stretching my bike too much. Don't know what Irish laws have to say about it but I think you will also have problems reaching the handle bars.

The Dnepr clutchpack/Flywheel is going to use up a lot of space but it will work, has been done on numerous bikes and different engines.

What Dnepr are you using?

Honda VT600 C Shadow

mark_in_manchester

Post by mark_in_manchester » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:19 pm

I kept the Ural clutch / flywheel (same as Dnepr) and machined it to fit my engine - a Daihatsu. It runs in fresh air and makes a hell of a noise when disengaged, but works fine! Apparently a single-plate diaphragm clutch from a 60s BMW has the right splines for us, can be made to fit and would run quietly - but I was too tight to go this way when I have a pile of Russian parts in the shed.

irishbiker
I'm pretty new here..

Post by irishbiker » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:29 pm

Hi All

@terminator *GRIN* I'm not using a Dnepr but an old British bike which was modelled on the BMW R60 as the Dnepr was. I'm from Northern Ireland but I'm now living in Buxton Derbyshire UK. Murphy's Law the week after I bought the Ruggerini a Hatz 2G40 popped up on eBay...

Got some good news my Dnepr gearbox final drive and rear wheel was delivered today. Now on the lookout for a complete clutch including flywheel.

@mark_in_Manchester Would it be possible to see yours some time, I'm only around the corner - Who did your adaptor plate?

Now my latest thoughts are:

Do I go with the Ruggerini or should I sell it and try and get a Hatz? Which is the better engine? Both have similar specs / outputs

Length may not be a problem - Once I get a adaptor plate made up I'm going to see how long the engine/gearbox will be, if its too long I've got a Reliant Robin rear axle so I would then simply trike it.

Thanks

Paul

Tetronator

Post by Tetronator » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:46 pm

irishbiker wrote:Hi All

@terminator *GRIN* I'm not using a Dnepr but an old British bike which was modelled on the BMW R60 as the Dnepr was. I'm from Northern Ireland but I'm now living in Buxton Derbyshire UK. Murphy's Law the week after I bought the Ruggerini a Hatz 2G40 popped up on eBay...

Got some good news my Dnepr gearbox final drive and rear wheel was delivered today. Now on the lookout for a complete clutch including flywheel.

@mark_in_Manchester Would it be possible to see yours some time, I'm only around the corner - Who did your adaptor plate?

Now my latest thoughts are:

Do I go with the Ruggerini or should I sell it and try and get a Hatz? Which is the better engine? Both have similar specs / outputs

Length may not be a problem - Once I get a adaptor plate made up I'm going to see how long the engine/gearbox will be, if its too long I've got a Reliant Robin rear axle so I would then simply trike it.

Thanks

Paul
What do you like better, German or Italian? There's your answer.
I'm guessing Hatz spares are more readily available tough.

Doubt you'll get the clutch with just the flywheel. There's probably still an engine attached to it.

Honda VT600 C Shadow

irishbiker
I'm pretty new here..

Post by irishbiker » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:20 pm

Tetronator wrote:
Doubt you'll get the clutch with just the flywheel. There's probably still an engine attached to it.
Should have a complete Clutch by the end of the week :)

Tetronator

Post by Tetronator » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:14 pm

irishbiker wrote:
Tetronator wrote:
Should have a complete Clutch by the end of the week :)
Well guess I'm wrong then. Did you buy them new or something?

Honda VT600 C Shadow

mark_in_manchester

Post by mark_in_manchester » Fri May 01, 2015 8:31 pm

[quote="irishbiker"]Hi All

@terminator *GRIN* I'm not using a Dnepr but an old British bike which was modelled on the BMW R60 as the Dnepr was.... @mark_in_Manchester Would it be possible to see yours some time, I'm only around the corner - Who did your adaptor plate?

[/quote]

British flat twin - Douglas? Seems like an expensive thing to cut up, so perhaps I'm wrong.

Yes you're welcome, but planning it will be tricky as my mum is ill and I'm doing a lot of travelling. I made my own adaptors plates - as it turned out I made cardboard templates and someone I work with got them laser cut from 10mm steel. I then drilled and adjusted them. The two plates stand off each other on 8 M10 legs with ali cylindrical spacers around them. It's all a bit too robust - lighter gauge would do, esp if I had rolled a sheet steel spacer plate and welded it in - say 6mm thick plates for engine and gearbox and 3mm thick rolled spacer piece.

Schneba
I don't post much...

Post by Schneba » Wed May 20, 2015 10:37 pm

Hello Together
My name is Uwe and I am the builder and the owner of the Dnepr motorcycle with the Hatz engine from the pictures in the beginning of this Threat.
In this year I have time to visit the "Big Knock". I arrive whit a friend of me and our daughters at friday afternoon in Billingshurst.
It would be nice to met us there.
Greetings from Germany
Uwe
Sorry for my bad knowledge of the english language

Tetronator

Post by Tetronator » Thu May 21, 2015 6:57 am

Welcome to the forum Uwe, we've met on Texel where I took the pictures and the Hamm rally last year. I hope I got the information about your bike right.

See you at the big knock!

Honda VT600 C Shadow

Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart » Thu May 21, 2015 10:43 pm

Jochen said you are coming Uwe. See you at the Rally [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]
Stuart. Honda NC700S, Ducati Monster M900, Toyota Corolla 1.4 Turbo Diesel. Favouring MPG over MPH.