Diesel Monkey

On-going, finished, abandoned builds & questions galore..

Moderators: Dan J, Stuart, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil

ubertoby
I'm pretty new here..

Diesel Monkey

Post by ubertoby » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:55 pm

Hello

I'm looking into the possibility of building a Diesel Monkey Bike. I'm from the Monkey Bike scene here in the UK & have no shortage of spare frames etc. I'm interested in the possibility of such a project. Tentative research has so far found the smallest engine to be approx 44kg with an output of approx 5hp, whether this is sufficient for useful road use I couldn't say?
What I would like to know is what the best engine would be for my needs & if I would need to use a transfer box? I'd like to avoid Chinese if possible, but if not it's not really a problem. Thanks in advance.

Diesel Dave
Site Admin

Re: Diesel Monkey

Post by Diesel Dave » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:13 pm

Still a big motor Toby, but worth a try all the same, most can be tilted by 20 degrees or so.

A simple go-kart clutch would probably be the only transmission you could fit anyway as there would be no space for a countershaft or gearbox.

best of luck

ubertoby
I'm pretty new here..

Post by ubertoby » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:02 pm

Appreciated.

I've seen some smaller engines in pictures, diesel bantam being one. Any advise what they might have been?

gilburton
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Post by gilburton » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:56 pm

ubertoby
I'm pretty new here..

Post by ubertoby » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:23 am

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it. Can you recommend some reading material to learn a little more about what I'm looking at. Others have said I can get away with a centrifugal clutch on the end of the output shaft rather than using a torque converter. This sounds appealing as I suspect it would be a smaller package but I'm guessing the torque converter gives a higher speed? I really whatever I end up with I'd like to achieve 50mph. Could you recommend a combination of engine & torque converter, if indeed I need one. Thanks again.

gilburton
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Post by gilburton » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:42 am

Most conversions use a 10hp engine and this gives app 55mph using a manual gearbox or CVT.
If you are considering a mini bike you will be struggling for space.
Have a look at this post.

http://www.suckindiesel.com/thingy/view ... ilit=dougy