Random engine temp

Doing stuff with air...

Moderators: Dan J, Stuart, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil

alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Random engine temp

Post by alexanderfoti » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:58 pm

Hi all

I have 2 radiators in series on my D950 engined bike. I have also added a higher flow pump.

When I only had one, it would overheat on fast roads.

Now that the winter is approaching, I have the opposite problem. On fast roads I can watch the temp gauge drop. I have an 88 degree thermostat in there and today I had 74 degrees C on a dual carriageway at 45mph for 5 miles.

I have a radiator block on the front covering its entirety. I haven't tried blocking the rear radiator yet, but surely it shouldn't cool down if the thermostat was completely closed?

Tetronator
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Re: Random engine temp

Post by Tetronator » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:03 pm

I had the same problem with my shadow all-tough that was when temperatures were minus 10 degrees Celsius, I had to cover-up the entire radiator just to keep the oil temp above 60 degrees & to stop it bogging down on the highway.

Check the thermostat if its still properly aligned inside its casing, it might be permanently stuck open due to the overheating problem. I saw that happen with a mates CB500.
"...the fearless Dutchman..." -Stuart
"...the mad Dutchman..." -Diesel Dave

Honda VT600 C Shadow
H̶o̶n̶d̶a̶ ̶C̶B̶R̶6̶0̶0̶F̶2̶
Mercedes-Benz W123 300D Sedan

alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Post by alexanderfoti » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:00 pm

I will check the thermostat, I recently replaced it so I hope its not stuck but you never know.

alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Post by alexanderfoti » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:37 pm

Long story short, I got stuck in the car park with my bike and tools and had to wait 3 hours before my GF would come home and let me into the house, so I decided to use the time to remove the rear radiator.

Much more work that I thought but its done now. I have also relocated the header tank to where the old rad was before, giving me a shorter pipe run.

Just waiting on an extra slim fan to fit behind the front (And only) rad now.

Bleeding the system is super fun when the header tank is below the rad......

alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Post by alexanderfoti » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:42 pm

Out for a long test ride last night (35 miles on the A3 at full throttle). This is the situation it overheated in before.

Now its steady at 88 but overheats on long fast stretches as before.

CB600F radiator on its way, same dimensions but slightly wider and more fins, will see what happens!