leaving the forced air cooling

Doing stuff with air...

Moderators: Dan J, Stuart, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil

arnaud
I luv the smell of Diesel...

leaving the forced air cooling

Post by arnaud » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:43 am

Hi, i just read a thread about someone porting a 406 china diesel in an enfield, and removing the cooling systme from the flywheel and housing.
Maybe the riding wind is enough and removing the scoops of the flywheel will save some power.
But, will the cooling be enough?
How reliable is oil temperature measurement for temperature indication what's happening above the piston??

oilburner
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Post by oilburner » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:08 pm

A cylinder head temperature gauge will give you a good idea what is going on in the combustion chamber. You can likely find a used gauge on EBay for $50. Allow another $20 for a thermocouple if there's none with the gauge. Accompanied by an oil temperature gauge, you should be able to determine if the engine can be safely run without the shroud.

OTOH the Chinese engines are cheap enough that you could pick up a spare engine, and take a chance on running one without a shroud to see what happens, provided you don't mind walking home if it um, doesn't work out. :wink:

andrewaust
Site Admin

Post by andrewaust » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:06 am

It will certainly be interesting to see how the engine goes, maybe by placing some larger fins on the head would help.

I think it is to hot where I live to go without force air cooling without larger fins on the engine, but then again? The only other problem is getting held up in traffic, again larger fins would be a good idea, depends on where and how you ride ;)